HippoSis and HippoNiece were in town for a visit this week, so we went up to San Francisco. We walked around the Palace of Fine Arts, snacked on donuts, and played in the sand while enjoying the view of the Golden Gate and Alcatraz. It was their first time there, and we had a good time.
![]() |
| Gazing out at the Pacific Ocean from Lobos lookout. |
![]() |
| The Palace of Fine Arts |
Chez TJ | Jarad Gallagher
Sweet Potato Terrine with Alba White Truffle, Kale, Walnut and Egg
Plumed Horse | Peter Armellino
Barley Risotto with Burgundy Truffles & Puffed Beef Tendon
State Bird Provisions | Stuart Brioza and Nicole Krasinski
CA State Bird with Provisions
La Folie | Roland Passot
Gold Faberge Egg, Cauliflower Mousse, Caviar
Bouchon | Ross Melling
West Coast Oyster with Pink Champagne Gelee and Sterling White Sturgeon Caviar, East Coast Oyster with Pickled Cucumber and Sea Urchin, Shrimp Cocktail
The Barley Risotto was by far our favorite. The taste was so deep and satisfying, and who would have known that beef tendon could be cooked at high temperatures and then fried and then puffed to wind up tasting better than popcorn? I really loved the Sweet Potato Terrine. It was a dish that I would have loved to replicate at home and was the only vegetable-centric dish there (more and more I'm a vegetarian). The walnuts were candied, the kale crisp and salty, and the micro greens on top had a slightly acidic dressing. HippoDad didn't brave the seafood, and after one taste I couldn't either (I realized I'm not as much of a seafood fan as I thought I was). The CA state bird is the California Quail, and it was battered and fried crispy, topped with pickled onions and slices of parmesan. The faberge eggs were beautiful to look at, but neither of us much care for caviar, and the foam was good but unsatisfying. Yet again (as at previous, similar occasions) I didn't care for the odor of the various wines that were there for sampling; I much preferred to sip at HippoDad's virgin screwdriver. Next time we go to a fancy shindig I'm really hoping the bartenders will be more creative at mixing virgin drinks; something with herbs and vegetable juices would be lovely.
As we drove, we couldn't help but compare our lives five years ago with our lives now. Who would have ever guessed that we would be able to attend a Michelin event? :D


Sarah, the way you describe food is incredible. It makes my mouth water! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.
ReplyDeleteWow! sounds amazing (and I find myself becoming more of a vegetarian too)
ReplyDelete