These are books I've read, eh, sometime this year, that are still affecting me, that I'm still trying to process. Originally they were just in a random list as I thought of them, but the organizer in me couldn't stand to let them all be there. Just there. In no particular order. I am picky about some things and completely un-picky about others.
- Sarah Bessey, Jesus Feminist. Points out, through historical analysis and fact, just how radical the personage Jesus was. And that (by our modern interpretation) he was a feminist. Since reading this I've gone at the New Testament again and am seeing it in a whole new light. Bessey – and the individuals she quoted – crystallized ideas and concepts that I've sensed intuitively for a while, and makes me feel that much more right self-identifying as both a Christian and a feminist (or Christian and social liberal, for that matter).
- Brene´ Brown, The Gifts of Imperfection. Just being good enough and embracing oneself, in all one's beautiful, imperfect, weak, human glory. I appreciate her research. This book changed the way I look at external/peer/family/"worldly" pressure, and now I recognize that pressure everywhere. It's astonishing how many people shame others, even in little ways.
- Pearl S. Buck, The Good Earth. Wow. This book. Challenging, in many ways. I like well-written books that are challenging. I walked away from a man in turn-of-the-century rural China feeling a greater tie to the earth than before and also feeling incredibly, incredibly privileged (in a humbled to the dust kind of way). Don't know that I can ever read it again, but maybe once was enough.
- Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist. I've always loved myths. I was obsessed with Greek mythology for a large chunk of my childhood. This hero's journey blends history and magic and myth. Now I can't stop thinking about hero journeys.
- John Frawley, The Real Astrology. Astrology makes so much more sense from his perspective – it's not psychology or a substitute for an analyst, it's reading signs in the heavens to identify answers to questions. Not sure I agree with everything he said (half of what he said), but I liked seeing an ancient perspective on this art and looking at it from an entirely new perspective.
- Rosemary Gladstar, Medicinal Herbs, A Beginner's Guide. I've always been interested in plants and what they can do for our bodies. Slowly starting to actually study it.
- Robert Greene, The Art of Seduction. It's not what you think. Well, it is, I guess. But in a more general sense. It's about figuring out, by identifying your innate strengths and abilities and your character, what kind of universal seduction archetype you fit and understanding how knowing yourself and your abilities and your appeal can help you attract others' attention and get what you want in life. Examples included public speakers, politicians, historical figures, and, yes, well-known lovers.
- Martha Holmberg, Modern Sauces. I love sauces. I loved them before but love them more now. Sauces are amazing because you can cook rice or roast chicken or steam vegetables using basic techniques, and only have to know those basics, then top them with any number of tasty sauces.
- Sara Covin Juengst, Breaking Bread: The Spiritual Significance of Food. This. Just. Still processing it. Food and spirituality became a huge interest of mine in college during a food in literature course (yeah, it was amazing), and the more I plunge this ideological lake, the deeper the lake seems to get. So much there to think about.
- Leslie Kaminoff, Yoga Anatomy. I am a recent covert to yoga (it always seemed too complicated). Reading this book, seeing the moves sketched out with names and explanations of what the movements do in relations to muscles and bones and tendons. So much more sense. That and discovering flow yoga. Love the meditative aspect of it that, to me, is much more appealing than other forms.
- Jacqueline Kelly, The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate. I resonated with the mother. There. I said it. And I just loved the grandfather character. I can't imagine any greater hell than feeling driven to attain or be things based on what you innately love but being blocked by tradition. Oh wait, that's earth.... (Something humanity needs to work on.)
- Christiane Northrup, Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. This book helped me embrace my female body. I don't know what else to say. Nothing seems adequate. Moving through all the stages of female existence and looking at the body from a holistic perspective. Yeah. I don't agree with everything she thinks, but the concepts pushed me to figure out answers on my own that were inspired by what I was reading. I'm keeping this one forever. Constant reference material.
- Chieko Okazaki, Being Enough. The second of Okazaki's books I've read. When I go to church I hear worthiness, righteousness, purity, and eventual perfection stressed; Chieko's words are a balm to my soul. So many beautiful concepts. I especially appreciated her words on celebrating diversity and being good enough for Christ just as you are.
- Geneeth Roth, When Food is Love. Also on women and bodies. Love. Really helped me deal with my compulsive eating and opened the door to me loving myself. Read it early in the year.
- Ruth Rusca, Feminine Mysteries in the Bible. Still reading and don't want it to end. Looks at the stories of major women (mostly non-Hebrew) characters in the Old Testament – Hannah, Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, Mary – and puts a mythical, symbolic spin on them. I love the idyllic women heroines these characters become under Rusca's hand, and I love that I'm seeing these women as spiritual mothers and role models that I can bring into my life as examples of who I want to become.
- Sheryl Sandberg, Lean In. I'm late to the party on this one. It's been a hot feminist book for several years now. Lean in. Come to the table. Open your mouth. Share your voice. Need male allies. Not sure what I think about her applications, but, gives me reason to think about whether I could come up with anything better.
- Jerry Spinelli, Stargirl. How I wish I'd read this while I was in high school. I mean, I think I was pretty sure of who I wanted to be, and I was in the fringes already (drama, choir, AP, shy), but this would just have been such a nice book to have around then. I dream that Joss Whedon someday makes this movie and I am on the production staff.
- David Zyla, Color Your Style: How to Wear Your True Colors. I have to say, I was a bit skeptical. I've seen those color and season quizzes. They always fell flat. But I loved Zyla's idea that everything you already are, that's already a part of you (eyes, hair, skin, veins), is telling you what brings out your inner beauty and makes your external beauty even more radiant. I've realized that the colors that always felt "right" to me or the colors people always complimented me on are the colors that came out from reading this book. Since trying to work this into my wardrobe, I've received more spontaneous compliments than I've had in a long time.
Hope you've enjoyed. Time to dash off and pick up kiddies from school!
No comments:
Post a Comment